After a violent 14-year civil war, many Liberians suffer from mental health problems resulting from the conflict. Mental Health is an issue of enormous proportion and the McCall Macbain Foundation supported the Ministry of Health Social Welfare (MoHSW) and the Mental Health Task Force to write the Mental Health Policy for Liberia, with the assistance of a team of technical experts from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. The team of consultant has been appointed and led by the MoHSW.
- Activities of the Massachusetts General Hospital team:
- Review existing literature and other relevant studies including available regional mental health policies thereby ensuring both country and regional specificity and relevance.
- Conduct a needs assessment survey of children and adolescence with key informants. Design the necessary instruments, provide training of required personnel and analyze outcomes data.
- Develop and write an evidence-based section relating to the development of children-specific services at all levels of care and ensure inclusion into the National Policy.
- Develop a well defined and structured framework of mental health care and services based on the World Health Organization’s Optimal Mix of services taking into consideration formal and informal structures and resources available.
- Provide guidance and direction and make recommendations about issues related to mental health financing and ethical and legal issues for inclusion in the policy document.
- Develop monitoring and evaluation mechanisms thereby ensuring adherence to policy formulations.
- Assist in the development of guidelines relevant to screening and approval of research projects and other programs thereby ensuring high standards and relevance of projects/programs.
- Assist the mental health policy committee in the provision of guidance and direction in meeting the training and accreditation needs of the mental health program and reflect same in the policy document.
- Liaise closely with the National Consultant/s and Mental Health Policy Committee in all aspects of policy development and provide weekly progress reports for discussion at weekly meetings.
- Ensure representation and participation in the planning and implementation of the validation workshop as scheduled
- Present a final document to the Ministry of Health by May 31, 2009
- Work along with the Mental Health Policy Committee during the additional month (June 2008) in any other activity/activities relating to the policy development and plan.
Partners: McCall MacBain Foundation
Implementing Partners: Ministry of Health and Social Welfare
Focus Areas: Health
Locations: Bomi, Bong, Gbarpolu, Grand Bassa, Grand Cape Mount, Grand Gedeh, Grand Kru, Lofa, Margibi, Maryland, Montserrado (Monrovia), Nimba, River Cess, River Gee, Sinoe